Addon for R9M modules and HappyModel ELRS915TX to allow:
- Logging to Browser and via Websocket
- Flashing ESP Backpack (self)
- Flashing R9M TX
- Possibly more.. wireless trainer mode? Please contribute 🥇
This is a convenience feature for development purposes and "power users" - soldering can be tricky - please be careful. 👮 This feature is built into most off-the-shelf ELRS TXes now too.
- USB to Serial Dongle (aka FTDI Stick)
- R9M (previously flashed with ExpressLRS) 📡
- any ESP 8266/8285 based chip should work, recommended are
- ESP01F for quick install (internal resistors ease initial flashing, but wire antenna)
- ESP12F for pcb wifi antenna, FCC/CE certififed (but more complex circuit required for initial flashing)
- very thin wire (AWG30 "kynar"); or enameled wire if you are good with routing (0.5mm holes in PCB)
- depending on your soldering skill using flux and leaded solder is recommended
Board ESP01F (ESP8285)¶
- Connect the serial adapter to
- Additionally, connect
GNDto activate the bootloader and enable flashing
- Quite some serial adapters have
RXswapped, mislabeled, or both 😸. Please double check!
Board ESP12F (ESP8266)¶
This module needs a more complex circuit to get flashed:
The platformio sub-project is in
src/ESPbackpack, please get into there first.
Now, please call
pio run -e ESP_BACKPACK_ESP8266 -t upload
or optionally specify the serial adapter to be used
pio run -e ESP_BACKPACK_ESP8266 -t upload --upload-port /dev/cu.SLAB_USBtoUART
For 8285 please set the value of parameter
Connecting to R9M Module¶
Let's get together:
- Solder wires connecting
- ❗ Removing transistor
J6is not required in contrary to as shown on the picture
- Please note the alternative location to reach
TX1to keep you from having to solder on the chip's leg 💁
Connecting to Happymodel ELRS915TX¶
The ESP module is wired:
- NRSET -> ESP DIO5
- BOOT0 -> ESP DIO4
- TX -> ESP RX
- RX -> ESP TX
- 3.3v -> ESP 3.3v
- GND -> ESP GND
Updating the ELRS915TX over wifi is supported from 1.0.0 RC8 onwards.
Connect via WiFi¶
Initially, the module will open an accesspoint for you to connect and change the settings to your desire. This accesspoint is available at the
ESP Wifi Manager wifi network. Then navigate to http://elrs_tx.local/, and after building your firmware, upload the file to the website and flash.
Why does the ES24TX have a wifi AP, is there any way to turn it off?¶
No, there is no way to disable it, HappyModel should not have put any firmware on it. You're welcome to wipe it with esptool.